For over 50 years the Legal Assistance Foundation has provided people living in poverty in metropolitan Chicago with comprehensive free legal services to resolve non-criminal issues. Each year LAF’s more than 80 full-time attorneys and staff help resolve civil legal problems, including domestic violence, consumer fraud, and unfair evictions.
LAF’s Volunteer Services Unit (VSU) forms and nurtures collaborations between LAF and the Cook County legal community so that together we can expand our assistance and create systemic change for disadvantaged communities. The VSU also engages volunteers from other professions to support LAF operations.
LAF seeks a full-time Director for the Volunteer Services Unit to help LAF do more by partnering with volunteers, VISTAs, and interns across the organization– identifying and developing volunteer opportunities, recruiting volunteers and interns, and matching them with useful and fulfilling work in any of LAF’s Practice/Work groups. The Director is also responsible for LAF’s AmeriCorps VISTA grant, law student recruitment, and placement, and developing and maintaining relationships with area law firms to support volunteerism and pro bono projects at LAF.
Responsibilities include without limitation:
- Directly supervise VSU team members including the Staff Attorney, a VISTA attorney who manages community legal clinics, a VISTA Project Supervisor, two VISTA Leaders, and a VISTA Volunteer Coordinator
- Evaluate the work of staff and volunteers to ensure that programs are of appropriate quality and that resources are used effectively
- Supervise all volunteer activity within LAF and provide individual volunteer support as needed
- Maintain personnel files on all volunteers and perform evaluations and file updates as required
- Lead volunteer recognition activities
Programs and compliance
- Oversee all aspects of LAF’s AmeriCorps VISTA project/grant
- Prepare and maintain records and reports on volunteer activity, such as budgets, program statistics, and training manuals
- Ensure compliance with all LSC requirements related to volunteer involvement
- In collaboration with LAF’s External Relations department, write grants and develop project proposals related to the use of volunteers throughout LAF
- Establish and oversee administrative procedures to meet strategic and program objectives
- Evaluate pro bono programs to ensure they align with organizational needs
- Develop organizational policies regarding such issues as participant eligibility, program requirements, and program benefits
- Manage LAF’s law student intern recruitment, hiring, and placement
- Establish and maintain relationships with area law firms
- Serve as ambassador for LAF at recruitment events, law schools, with our Young Professionals Board and in other settings
- Establish and maintain relationships with other organizations
Applicants must have a J.D. degree, be a member of the Illinois Bar, and have five (5) years of practice experience.
Also, the successful applicant must have exceptional communication and organizational skills, a strong public speaker, be outstanding in one-on-one interactions, knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, leadership development, budgeting and coordination of people and resources, and be a great listener.
The ideal candidate must have experience working with and enthusiasm about volunteers, have the patience and the ability to lead a team composed of multiple stakeholders to accomplish a shared goal; have or be willing to develop excellent skills in coaching individuals and leading groups; ability to manage time and prioritize workload effectively; ability to make independent decisions; willingness to suggest ways to improve services and processes; and be able to communicate LAF’s mission and build excitement about our mission within the private bar and with law students.
Send a cover letter and resume by December 10, 2017, to email@example.com. Please type “Director, Volunteer Services Unit” in the email subject line.
NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE. LAF IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF DISABILITY